Summer is the season of parties- graduations, barbeques, family reunions. Your pet is part of the family, and it is only natural to want to include him/her in the celebrations. You probably know to keep your pet away from open flames, fireworks, chocolate, and bones. Here are a few lesser known (but just as dangerous!) hazards to keep your party animal away from:
- Corn cobs- These tasty castaways are very likely to become lodged in the intestine as they make their way through the digestive tract.
- Fruit pits (like peaches)- These are also likely to become lodged in the digestive tract. Believe it or not, cats are as likely to be affected by this type of foreign body as dogs!
- Skewers- These throwaways once held tasty treats, but now they are more likely to puncture your pet’s esophagus, stomach, or small intestine.
- Foil, plastic wrap, and string- These may be garbage to you, but they taste like dinner to your pet. Be sure your garbage is not accessible to Fido and Fluffy.
- Gravel or dirt- Grease and/or meat drippings can make these normally non-edible items extra tasty. Eating these in large amounts can cause your pet problems!
Please contact us if you have any questions.