This common Halloween treat is not for your pet. Chocolate, especially in the form of dark or baking chocolate, can be toxic.
Beware of baked goods or candies sweetened with xylitol. Just a small amount of this artificial sweetener could be deadly.
Traditional Halloween decorations like pumpkins and corn are not toxic, but ingestion could cause digestive upset or an obstruction.
Wires and electrical cords
Decorating for the holidays often leads to cords in places where they are not normally. Be sure all these are out of the reach of curious teeth and that your pet cannot become tangled in them.
If you choose to light up your Jack O’Lantern with a candle, keep it out of the way of mischievous cats and dogs to prevent burns.
If you choose to dress up your pet, be sure that its costume fits well and does not obstruct vision, hearing, or breathing. A costumed pet should always be supervised so that it does not become tangled in the costume or chew off pieces.
Trick or treaters
When opening your door to hand out candy, be sure your pets are secure in the house. Stressful activity and an open door can lead to lost pets very quickly.
Be sure that tempting decorations like tinsel, ribbons, and other potentially ingestible items are kept out of reach from curious pets.
If you think that your pet may have gotten into something that he shouldn’t have, please don’t hesitate to call us.